A day in the life of a graduate recruitment consultant at Hamlyn Williams and insight into what your recruitment career will look like as a first jobber at Hamlyn Williams.
Our values spell the word GREAT, and we will give you all the tools to learn and develop your career to become GREAT. But, before you delve into the exciting world of work and find your desired career path, you might want to know what a day in the life of a Recruitment Consultant at Hamlyn Williams actually entails.
Companies require people to achieve their targets and business objectives, as a recruitment consultant you will be making crucial introductions to enable this, whilst becoming well-known along your market as a knowledgeable and reliable talent acquisition partner.
Working in this fast-paced environment means that if you land a recruitment graduate job with us, you will encounter a whole host of different types of businesses looking to hire or grow (clients), and applicants (candidates) at some of the biggest and most reputable companies globally.
We asked Yaingy, based in our Cardiff office, the following questions:
As a Recruiter, what's the first thing you do when you get into the office?
Make myself a black coffee to start the day. Followed by this, I go through my emails and respond to LinkedIn Messages
What would you consider your most important task of the day to be?
Set daily tasks and have them jotted down (I use sticky notes on my laptop). Every day is different, priorities of tasks change, it’s incredibly important to be organised and manage your time effectively to ensure there is good productivity delivered. It’s important to understand that we value our time here at Hamlyn Williams, it’s all great working hard but if by the end of the day, there are no results, you would have wasted a day. Work smart, not hard! Make our job easier.
What market do you work in and how do you keep up-to-date with industry news?
I specialise in our EMEA Fintech Recruitment space, specifically in Legal and Compliance. The majority of my clients are start-ups, and for this reason, I have to consistently keep up to date with the market, and business development. In doing this I do the following:
- Network. Connect with everyone on LinkedIn.
- Engaging with Senior candidates in the industry and speaking with them on a daily basis. Building and establishing a relationship, also maintaining this by staying in touch. These guys can not only be your candidates and increase your chance of making a placement, they can also give you jobs! Win-Win!
- Read articles/Sign up to Newsletters (Utilising Market Intelligence Tools; i.e TalentTicker).
Give us a brief rundown of your daily responsibilities as a Recruiter at Hamlyn Williams.
- Admin (Answering emails).
- Business Development (speak to senior candidates, find out what is going on in the industry, if the company they work at are hiring, marketing CVs, headhunt to BD, connecting and reaching out to hiring managers that are currently hiring).
- Source candidates; write up job posts and adverts for candidate applications, go through our internal system, and headhunt new candidates via LinkedIn.
- Schedule calls, fully qualify every candidate, and shortlist the best ones.
- Format CVs and send them to the client accordingly in a timely manner.
- Organising interviews; asking for candidate and client availabilities and scheduling these in.
What’s the last thing you do before you leave the office?
Set my tasks for the next day.
Write job posts/job ads.
Make sure I have emailed candidates and clients that will get back to me overnight, in preparation for me to call in the morning.
What kind of clients do you work with on a regular basis?
- Heads of Compliance/Chief Compliance Officers-Head of Legal/General Counsels.
- Managing Director/CEOs (smaller sized firms).
- All of the above in both the Fintech space i.e Payment Providers, FX, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain, as well as Internet/E-Commerce.
What's the best thing about working in a sales environment and what do you enjoy most about the role?
- Being able to speak to knowledgeable people who love what they do. Not only do I find my market interesting, but I’m also constantly learning every day from these professionals.
- Competitiveness; we all work as a team, but we are also in it for ourselves. I want to make as much money as I can, in order to do that we just keep doing what we do best every day, the rest will follow!
- Simply being around my colleagues, we’re a small family here. We help each other when we need it for advice, and also motivate each other to drive the sales floor.
- I love the satisfaction of being able to find someone a job that they’ve been looking for with the best package, but also most importantly, making money.
What would your one piece of advice be to someone looking into being a recruiter at Hamlyn Williams?
RESILIENCE; Nothing comes easy. If you want to make money and be exceptional in your job as a Recruiter at Hamlyn Williams, you need to do the following:
- Work Hard & Smart.
- Persevere and don’t give up, remember you are building a network and desk from scratch, no one knows who you are yet and your job is to make sure they do and that they come to you.
- Hamlyn Williams has the best learning tools, support, and guidance that can help you become the best recruiter and excel if you put the hard work in. Once you do the basics, the rest WILL follow. There is no timeframe to how quickly you can make your first placement, this is dependent on you.
If you're interested in learning more about joining us and beginning a career as a recruiter, please do get in touch via email@example.com to arrange a confidential chat.