A day in the life of a graduate recruitment consultant at Hamlyn Williams and insight into what your recruitment career will look like at Hamlyn Williams.
Our values spell the word GREAT, and we will give you all the tools to learn and develop your career to become GREAT. Before you delve into the exciting world of work and find your desired career path, you might want to know what a day in the life of a Recruitment Consultant at Hamlyn Williams entails.What does a Recruitment Consultant do? In summary, companies require people to achieve their targets and business objectives, as a recruitment consultant you will be making crucial introductions to enable this, whilst becoming well-known among your market as a knowledgeable and reliable talent acquisition partner.
Recruitment can be a fast-paced and fun sales environment, where you will be dealing with lots of people. This means that if you land a recruitment graduate job with us, you will encounter a whole host of different types of businesses looking to hire or grow (clients), and applicants (candidates) at some of the biggest and most reputable companies globally. Recruitment can be a very exciting and rewarding career, finding someone their dream job is an incredible feeling. In addition to that, and similar to other sales jobs, you will be working in a team to achieve sales targets which once met and exceeded can mean you receive a good bonus at the end of the month.
Starting a new career anywhere can be daunting and it's always good to understand fully what the job has in-store. We asked Yaingy a Recruitment Consultant based in our Cardiff office, the following questions to give you a better idea of what to expect:
As a Recruiter, what's the first thing you do when you get into the office?
Make myself a black coffee to start the day. After this, I go through my emails and respond to messages from candidates and clients.
What would you consider your most important task of the day to be?
Set daily tasks and have them jotted down (I use sticky notes on my laptop). Every day is different and the priorities of tasks change, it’s incredibly important to be organised and manage your time effectively to ensure there is good productivity delivered. It’s important to understand the value of your time as a recruitment consultant here at Hamlyn Williams, it’s all great working hard but if by the end of the day, there are no results, you would have wasted a day. Work smart, not hard! Make your job easier.
What market do you work in and how do you keep up to date with industry news?
I specialise in our EMEA Fintech Recruitment space, specifically in Legal and Compliance. The majority of my clients are start-ups, and for this reason I have to consistently keep up-to-date with the market to see any regulatory changes and news updates as these can help my business development and is key market knowledge required for me to understand our client’s needs. For this I do the following:
- Network. Connect with everyone on LinkedIn and if attending an event, I will meet people and I hand out my business cards.
- Engaging with my audience. Speaking with senior clients in the industry on a daily basis helps me to build and establish a relationship which I maintain by staying in touch through regular emails. These contacts can not only be your candidates and increase your chance of making a placement, they can also give you jobs and recommendations! Win-Win!
- Other ways to keep up with the market include: Read articles/Sign up to Newsletters and utilising Market Intelligence Tools; i.e TalentTicker.
Give us a brief rundown of your daily responsibilities as a Recruiter at Hamlyn Williams.
- Admin - Answering emails and adding information to our database. This is important to keep track of all your conversations and helps people on the team know which clients and candidates you are working with,
- Business Development - Speaking to the market, this includes; Senior people within businesses, finding out what is going on in the industry, whether the company they work at are hiring, marketing CVs, headhunt to BD, connecting and reaching out to hiring managers that are currently hiring.
- Finding candidates (sourcing); Write job posts from the descriptions the client gives you, and posting these job adverts to receive candidate applications. Searching the internal system to find the candidates we already have and headhunting new candidates via LinkedIn.
- Schedule calls to fully qualify every candidate and shortlist the best ones.
- Format CVs and send them to the client accordingly in a timely manner.
- Organising interviews; asking for candidate and client availabilities and scheduling these in.
What’s the last thing you do before you leave the office?
- Set my tasks for the next day.
- Write job posts/job ads.
- Make sure I have emailed candidates and clients that will get back to me overnight, in preparation for me to call in the morning.
What kind of clients do you work with on a regular basis?
- Head of Compliance
- Chief Compliance Officers
- Head of Legal/General Counsels
- Managing Director/CEOs (smaller sized firms)
- All of the above in both the Fintech space i.e Payment Providers, FX, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain, as well as Internet/E-Commerce.
What's the best thing about working in a sales environment and what do you enjoy most about the role?
- Being able to speak to knowledgeable people who love what they do. Not only do I find my market interesting, but I am also constantly learning every day from these professionals.
- Competitiveness: we all work as a team, but we are also in it for ourselves. I want to make as much money as I can, in order to do that we just keep doing what we do best every day, the rest will follow!
- Simply being around my colleagues, we’re a small family here. We help each other when we need it for advice, and also motivate each other to drive the sales floor.
- I love the satisfaction of being able to find someone a job that they’ve been looking for with the best package, but also most importantly, making money.
What would your one piece of advice be to someone looking into being a recruiter at Hamlyn Williams?
RESILIENCE: Nothing comes easy. If you want to make money and be exceptional in your job as a Recruiter at Hamlyn Williams, you need to do the following:
- Work Hard & Smart.
- Persevere and don’t give up, remember you are building a network and desk from scratch, no one knows who you are yet and your job is to make sure they do and that they come to you.
- Hamlyn Williams has the best learning tools, support, and guidance that can help you become the best recruiter and excel if you put the hard work in. Once you do the basics, the rest WILL follow. There is no timeframe to how quickly you can make your first placement, this is dependent on you.
If you're interested in learning more about joining us and beginning a career as a recruiter, please do get in touch via email@example.com to arrange a confidential chat.