4 months ago
A client of ours, a market leading Asset Management organization are looking for a Deputy CCO to take on a role based in New Jersey.
The Deputy CCO will assist the Global Head of Compliance in discharging the firm’s overall compliance program with particular focus on the Americas businesses, including its operations in the United States and Latin America. The position is supported by eight US-based associates and two Mexico-based associates. The position requires a candidate with strong management skills and an ability to develop relationships, sometimes from afar, with staff and senior business executives in the region. This position will also be expected to act as backup to the Global Head of Compliance in interfacing with senior business managers in the Americas; participation in governance committee; and, representing the unit in matters relating to non-US regions, when the CCO is not available or as resource constraints dictate.
This individual will be expected to be thoroughly knowledgeable about both Real Estate and Real Estate Finance Compliance Programs and to assist in leading and developing both junior and seasoned members of the compliance team. The right candidates must possess a deep understanding of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and other related federal securities laws such as ERISA, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The incumbent will be expected to provide strategic direction to the unit's activities as well as engage in direct compliance support of product initiatives and other activities. The individual will be expected to establish a significant presence in the area of real estate asset management compliance through participation on industry working groups and other activities. The role has responsibility for compliance monitoring, support of marketing activities, compliance training, creating and implementing new policies and procedures, and forensic testing. In addition, the position will assist in monitoring business activities to ensure they are performed in compliance with Company policy, securities laws, and SEC, FINRA, state insurance and applicable foreign regulations. The position will also support the broader Compliance organization with cross-business initiatives and compliance projects across the firm’s other global business units in collaboration with their chief compliance officers. The incumbent will lead multiple projects that strengthen and maintain compliance activities across the organization. The incumbent will also partner with the Law Department on a regular basis to analyze changes to regulatory requirements and proactively manage regulatory developments and changes.
- Promote, protect and set the tone to reflect the Company's reputation for ethics, integrity and honesty in all dealings.
- This position requires periodic travel to the numerous US offices, as well as Mexico City, roughly 3 trips per quarter would be expected.
- The ability to manage a local team as well as individuals in remote locations.
- Assist the Global Head of Compliance with matters such as new product development, risk governance committees, compliance metrics; and, act in the support of matters involving the Global businesses where necessary.
- Monitor the effectiveness of established compliance processes and controls and recommend and implement enhancements.
- Assist management with identifying and resolving regulatory issues both within the business unit and across multiple business units.
- Assist regulators, auditors and business unit management with regulatory exams and inquiries.
- Develop and effectively administer a compliance monitoring program including, but not limited to, portfolio reviews, anti-money laundering, client documentation, gift and entertainment reporting, FCPA reporting, new account reviews, etc.
- Develop, organize, and deliver consistent compliance related training, and reinforce all compliance-related communications.
- Assist in coordinating global compliance activity in all offices.
Skills and Experience needed:
- 10+ years of compliance experience, primarily in an investment management organization.
- Real Estate experience and/or experience in alternative asset classes.
- Professional working proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor's degree strongly preferred.
- JD, MBA, advanced degree or other relevant professional designation preferred.
- Deep understanding of Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940; other federal securities laws and rules thereunder; ERISA, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Experience with Anti-Money Laundering, Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act requirements and analogous laws in Latin America.
- Experience with Reg AB and Fannie/Freddie originations & underwriting guidelines; Mortgage Servicing Rights (MSR’s); rating agencies (S&P, Fitch, Morningstar) mortgage servicing requirements.
If this role interests you, please send an updated resume in today!