San Francisco, CA, USA
9 months ago
We are looking for an experienced Attorney to work for a large investment management client based in San Francisco.
This role will have a focus on providing legal advice and consultation with respect to investment products and strategies offered to the firms’ collective investment funds.
The candidate must be able to directly manage, coordinate, and advise across a wide variety of business and operations teams on regulatory, compliance, disclosure and commercial issues and risks presented.
- Providing legal advice and consultation, focusing on a variety of legal issues relating to, among other things, the development of new, and changes to existing, bank-maintained collective investment funds (CIFs) established under U.S. Office of the Comptroller of the Currency regulations and U.S. federal securities and tax laws/regulations and typically subject to ERISA, and the provision of investment management, securities lending and other fiduciary services to institutional clients.
- Drafting and ongoing maintenance of CIF governing documents, including, but not limited to, investment guidelines and disclosure documents, and supporting the fund administration, marketing and client reporting teams in maintaining consistency of notes to the CIF financials, marketing materials and client reports with those governing documents.
- Coordinating closely with the team of paralegals who support the maintenance of the trust documents under which the CIFs are established (including quarterly amendments/restatements) and the library of CIF-specific disclosures, and the annual updates of the CIF-specific and trust bank-specific disclosure documents.
- Coordinating closely with other internal teams of lawyers/paralegals who have similar disclosure-related responsibilities for other types of pooled products, to ensure consistency across disclosures as appropriate.
- Coordinating with the vendor management team to engage and oversee service providers as necessary to facilitate automated production of new and updated disclosure documents.
- Researching and advising on bank, securities and product tax regulatory matters, and valuation, trading and portfolio management issues, among other things related to products and services offered to fiduciary clients of the trust bank.
- Managing internal business relationships and communicating directly with internal business clients.
- J.D. with excellent academic credentials from a recognized law school and 3+ years’ experience as a lawyer in a major law firm or in the legal department of a leading financial services organization.
- Candidates should have some experience with the U.S. federal securities laws that pertain to investment management (preferably the Investment Advisers Act and/or the Investment Company Act) and/or U.S. bank fiduciary laws/regulations.
Candidates should also have:
- Some experience advising publicly or privately offered pooled funds, including experience drafting fund and investment adviser/manager disclosure documents.
- Familiarity with ERISA’s prohibited transaction rules and other regulations applicable to investment managers.
- The ability and desire to develop expertise in new or unfamiliar areas of law.
- Exceptional analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
If this opportunity interests you and you would like to explore further, please get in touch.